What goes around comes around. Last year at this time I posted a response to a report by John Hopkins Medicine Institute, that stated the cause of the majority of cancers can be attributed to “bad luck”. Their research was big news last year and for those who have a fear of getting cancer, this is the exact kind of research you do not want to hear.

If you want know the details and my response, read it here: Is This Really The Cause of Cancer?

Hannun Research Team

Hannun Research Team

Fortunately, a new study contradicts the “luck” theory. If you wait long enough, sanity will prevail. A team of researchers from Stony Brook University, have found that environmental factors and behavior play a major role in 70-90 percent of all cancers.

Interestingly, they used the same data that was used in the “bad luck” study. However, when they looked at the data, they found that intrinsic (such as DNA) factors only played a role in about 10 percent of cancers and extrinsic factors (such as diet or lifestyle) played a much bigger role in the remaining 90 percent.

Click here to read the report of what they found and how they looked at the data

This means we have a say in preventing cancer, as common sense would tell us. Smoking we know is a major external factor that is linked to all cancers. Obesity, stress chemical exposure and poor dietary choices are also external factors. Overtime, we will discover more. But it is good not know that we are not just sitting ducks when it comes to developing cancer.

More importantly since this study is a rebuttal of the “bad luck” study, it should teach us not to quote one study as proof of anything and to always think twice about all information we read or hear.  

The problem with cancer is that it is so multi-factorial. At least the way the researchers look at it. This means there will never be one smoking gun for a cause and there will never be one type of cure.

Our best plan is to be smart and logical.  I recently was told the story of a gentleman with cancer. It was diagnosed at quite an advanced stage when it was discovered. In conversation with his wife, she said: “This came out of nowhere – he was perfectly healthy before this” Clearly, it didn’t and he wasn’t healthy. And her thoughts are neither smart or logical. We can understand that she would be in shock but I have met cancer survivors who say the exact same thing even years after their remission.

fruits and vegetables 2What everyone has to understand is that cancer is the ultimate failure of the body. It is an immune system failure, a detoxification failure and a microorganism failure – that is right – gut health plays a huge role in preventing and recovering from cancer. Cancer also has a huge emotional component so even our emotions and attitudes can play a role in whether we develop and if we do, whether we survive it.

As complicated as this may sound, it is actually good news, it means we have many options to help us. We can choose to eat foods that have anti-cancer properties. We can make sure we digest our food and support our gut health. We can exercise but not too extremely (because that is not good for us either) and we can do our best to be happy and relaxed.

Most importantly, we need to have a zest and purpose for life because that will help us succeed immensely at being healthy and living well as we face the trials and tribulations of life.